Beans are delicious and easy to grow in home gardens. Beans and legumes have a number of health benefits, including reducing cholesterol, decreasing blood sugar levels and increasing healthy gut bacteria.
Foliage grows well in shade, but plants need good sun for best flowering. It blooms on new growth, so early spring pruning will not affect the flowering. Vines must be grown on sturdy structures because mature plants produce considerable weight.
- Bean pods are effective in lowing blood sugar levels and can be used (with the concurrence of a doctor) for mild cases of diabetes
- A bean pod diet for this purpose would mean eating 9-16 lb
- of pods per week (they can be cooked like vegetables)
- Dried pods are particularly to be used in conjunction or rotation with other efficacious herbs
- Note: Use only after consulting the specialist
- Immature pods are used for a culinary purpose, frozen or canned